Let’s face it, the freezer space in your refrigerator is just not enough room. They are designed for a few items and some ice cream. But we all know, that shopping in bulk saves us money in the long run. I can’t tell you the amount of times I have come back from Sam’s club and half the food won’t fit in the freezer! Now that’s a serious problem!
I put together and extensive undercounter freezer buyers guide. There are some great useful tips and helpful reviews for you. The top 10 best under counter freezer’s for 2015-2016 are here.
What you’ll find are freezers that are priced from $150 to $400, they are compact and will fit under the counter. Most offer free 3-day shipping from amazon, which is great!
- 1 Under Counter Freezer Reviews
- 220.127.116.11.1 SPT UF-304SS Energy Star Upright Freezer
- 18.104.22.168.2 Midea WHS-109F Compact Single Reversible Door Upright Freezer
- 22.214.171.124.3 SPT UF-214SS Energy Star Upright Freezer
- 126.96.36.199.4 Midea WHS-52FW1 Compact Single Reversible freezer
- 188.8.131.52.5 Arctic Air AUC27F 27” 1 Door Undercounter Freezer
- 184.108.40.206.6 Whynter CUF-210SS Energy Star Upright Freezer
- 220.127.116.11.7 EdgeStar 1.1 Cu. Ft. Medical Freezer
- 18.104.22.168.8 IGLOO FR551 5.5 Cubic Feet Side by Side
- 22.214.171.124.9 Whynter CUF-110B upright freezer with lock
- 126.96.36.199.10 SPT UF-114SS Upright Freezer
- 188.8.131.52.11 midea WHS-52FSS1 upright freezer
- 2 Who are these freezers for?
- 3 What is a deep freezer?
- 4 What is an upright freezer?
- 5 Conclusion
If you need 2 to 3 times your current freezer space, these under counter freezer’s are the winning ticket!
Under Counter Freezer Reviews
SPT UF-304SS Energy Star Upright Freezer
The SPT UF-304SS is and attractive and impressive freezer. What we like about this unit is its impressive temperature control and the fact that you won’t even notice its running, it’s so quiet! It hold a lot more food than I expected, like a turkey and frozen pizzas as well as ice cream! This unit is 3.0 cubic feet. It comes with 3 pull out shelves and a manual thermostat. The unit comes in an elegant black cabinet with a nice shiny stainless steel door. Energy efficient with yearly cost around $28, and it’s small enough to fit just about anywhere. Read our review here
- 3.0 cubic feet capacity
- 2 baskets on top: 14.25″ wide x 13.5″ deep x 8.5″ high; Bottom basket: 14.25″ wide x 13.5 ” deep x 7.75″ high
- 3 baskets that are removable.
- Adjustable thermostat
- Black cabinet and stainless steel door
Midea WHS-109F Compact Single Reversible Door Upright Freezer
The Midea WHS-109F is an excellent freezer. For the price, you get a 3.0 cubic foot freezer that makes very little noise or doesn’t give off extra heat. Another feature liked is the desperate wire drawer, separate from the other 2 shelves. This freezer has reversible doors, so it can swing open to the left or to the right. There are 3 colors available for this unit, black, white or stainless steel. The manufacture offers a full 1 year warranty and 2 years for the compressor. Read our review here
- Adjustable thermostat and Mechanical controlled
- Legs are adjustable
- Doors are reversible left/right
- wire drawers (separate)
- 1 full year warranty/ 2 years for the compressor
SPT UF-214SS Energy Star Upright Freezer
Another great upright freezer by SPT, this is the 214SS version. Unlike the 304ss, this is the compact unit, at 2.1 cubic feet, but don’t let that discourage your decision. Here’s why, it still has 3 shelves, it’s compact, it’s quiet, it doesn’t require a lot of energy to run, you can use it in your RV and it has a lock on it. Temperature-wise, your true temperature is at 0 degrees when ambient temp outside is 89 degrees. So, it will go lower, i’ve seen some resister at -5 and -10. Read our review here
- 2.1 cubic feet capacity
- Adjustable thermostat (manual)
- 3 shelves (2 wire)
- Temperatures at true 0 degrees
Midea WHS-52FW1 Compact Single Reversible freezer
The Midea WHS-52FW1 is great compact freezer. Suited for anyone from, campers, small apartments, restaurants, your office, or you just need a little extra space. Pick your color, White, Black or Stainless steel. You have 2 shelves for a total of 1.1 cubic feet. This unit has reversible doors, no need to worry about where you put it, it will swing open either way. Easy to clean interior. Get’s cold very quickly. Read our review here
- Adjustable thermostat (manual)
- 1.1 cubic feet (2 shelves)
- 3 colors available: White, Black or Stainless Steel
- 1 full year warranty and 2 year compressor warranty
Arctic Air AUC27F 27” 1 Door Undercounter Freezer
This is one of the highest quality manufactured freezers on the market. A stylish design that is also innovative. The freezer is 6.5 cubic feet, comes with an electric thermostat, heavy-duty worktop surface on top of the freezer if you need to make this a workstation. Self closing doors make sure this stays cold. Stainless steel design, with caters (wheels) on the bottom to make this easy to move around. Arctic Air makes a great freezer, stellar performance with superior value. Read our review
- 6.5 cubic feet freezer
- solid stainless steel body
- heavy duty worktop surface
- Electronic LED thermostat and display
- Lockable casters
Whynter CUF-210SS Energy Star Upright Freezer
The whynter CUF-210SS Freezer is a great compact unit at 2.1 cubic feet. The sleek design sticks our right away, with the sharp black box and stainless steel door. It has two removable wire shelves to help keep food organized and reachable. This is a great unit for practically any situation, camping, your boat, office, what ever it may be, this unit offers premium design and quality. Read our Reviews
- Black Box, Stainless steel door
- Compressor cooling
- Lock and Key
- 2 shelves (removable)
- Adjustable Thermostat
EdgeStar 1.1 Cu. Ft. Medical Freezer
This is the best medical freezer for its class. 1.1 cubic feet with 1 pull out shelf and a locking door. Designed for medical use, which is why the lock comes in handy, but that doesn’t mean it isn’t for home use or office use. Let’s be honest, people like to grab what ever they want, even if it’s not theirs. So this compact freezer, is perfect for many situations. But, are there medical prescriptions or perhaps you freeze breast milk, the lock feature is really nice to have. Read our review
- 1.1 cubic foot
- Adjustable thermostat
- euro style door with recessed handle
- Lock and key
- Energy efficient
IGLOO FR551 5.5 Cubic Feet Side by Side
I love this unit for the simple reason of it being a side by side refrigerator/freezer, but it’s an under counter style. 5.5 Cubic feet, so in total you’re looking at 3.27 cubic feet of refrigerator and 2.30 cubic feet of freezer space. Features 3 glass removable shelves and they are adjustable to height as well. Refrigerator light with integrated door handle. Also feature in this unit is a clear crisper drawer. This honestly would make a great dorm room, office or if you just need a little extra storage freezer/fridge. Read our reviews
- 5.5 cubic feet
- Hard scratch resistant top
- 3 adjustable/removable glass shelves
- Interior light
- Clear crisper drawer
Whynter CUF-110B upright freezer with lock
This is a perfect freezer unit if you have a small space. At 1.1 cubic feet this compact freezer can fit in your kitchen, garage, basement, office, camping, RV or where every you might need it. This space saver comes in a sharp-looking black coat it will fit flush in just about any room. It features a reversible door, adjustable thermostat and one removable shelf and a lock to keep your stuff safe. This is a super energy-efficient freezer, so your cost won’t be high at all.
- Compact – 1.1 cubic feet
- Flush recessed handle
- Temperature control
- removable shelf
- Lock and key
SPT UF-114SS Upright Freezer
Another great compact freezer that can pick up and place just about anywhere is the, Sunpentown UF-114SS freezer. At 1.1 cubic feet, it features 1 removable shelf. It has a manual thermostat right in the unit for easy temperature control. A slick-looking design that would go flush in any room or on the counter. I like that the door is reversible, simple screw to flip it to the other side. A great freezer for the price. Read our reviews
- 1.1 cubic feet
- Stainless steel finish
- removable shelf
- lock and key
midea WHS-52FSS1 upright freezer
The midea WHS-52FSS1 offers the highest quality freezer, this particular model features E-star energy class. At 1.1 cubic feet, with removable shelf this unit comes in black, white and stainless steel. Adjustable thermostat for keeping the right temperatures. Also features reversible doors and adjustable legs. 1 full year warranty and 2 for the compressor, not bad for the price. Read our reviews
- 1.1 cubic feet
- Adjustable thermostat
- reversible door
- 1 full year warranty – 2 year compressor warranty
- 3 colors – white, black, stainless steel
So there you have it, the top 10 freezers right now. But if you’re still unsure, let’s go over some tips on what to look for when purchasing a one.
Who are these freezers for?
The short answer, everyone.
But more specifically, anyone who needs a little extra freezer space in their life. Some of the most common places are:
- Dorm rooms – College kids life out of compact freezers
- Home Bar – You have a wet bar at home, you need a freezer
- Office – Spending hours at work, you need a place to store food
- Medical – Doctors and nurses store medical stuff in freezers
- Home – People run out of freezer space, and need a little more room
- Breast Milk – Storing breast milk in the freezer
- RV – Camping is fun, and it would be great to have some freezer room
- Bedroom – quiet appliances work great in the bedroom
- Garage – Most common place to put extra freezer goods
Although there are tons of places and way’s people find uses for freezers, these are just a few of the more common places our customers use them. I would like to go over the difference between a deep freezer and these upright freezers.
What is a deep freezer?
A deep freezer is a box-shaped chest, that keeps the temperature at zero degrees constantly. When people shop, they like to buy in bulk, freezing them will keep them fresh for months and if it’s wrapped well then a year or longer. You can store way more food and save energy going this route
The deep freezer is much bigger and bulkier than the upright freezer. They are ideal for garages, basements and places out of sight. But, they do get the job done, and lot’s of people own them.
The pros of a deep freezer:
- Store more food – Chest freezers are big and boxy. They usually don’t have shelves in the way, so you can really stack on top of each other.
- Tight seal – With design of the pull down lid, gravity takes over and offers a constant seal.
- Energy Efficient – Equipped with a manual defrost vs. the automatic make this run on less energy.
The cons of a deep freezer:
- The space – Like I mentioned above, you usually find these in basements or garages, they just take up a good amount of space.
- Organization – This can become a problem as we tend to stack on top of another as we go. Some great foods might be way at the bottom and may get forgotten.
- Access – Well it is a chest freezer, and likely you will be bending over into it looking for something, so limitations such as your height might make it difficult to get to.
However, don’t get these big guys confused with the upright. Let me explain what that is.
What is an upright freezer?
The upright is a vertical design, that has swinging doors. Like the ones mentioned in this guide, but these ones are more compact to fit under the counter. The nice thing about uprights are, they are great for organizing, if you’re a visual person this will be a benefit. You can read the guide over at sears.
The pros of an upright freezer:
- Space – Vertical designed, so they are taller and take up less floor space
- Organization – You are at eye level and you have shelves to work with, this is basically a the best way to organize
- Access – No problems being able to see and to reach in and grab what you’re looking for.
The cons of an upright freezer:
- Less storage – yes it’s true, due to shelves and the vertical design, you are limited to space.
- Energy – Usually these models have auto-defrost that regularly turns on and thus uses more energy.
- Seal – Not as good of a seal as the deep freeze, but non the less it is still designed well and will close and keep a good seal.
At undercounter.net, our goal is to help you find those great ideas for storing under the counter. This guide has gone through the top 10 best Under Counter Freezer’s on the market. You can read our reviews for each appliance by clicking the links above. We also talked about the difference between a deep freezer and an upright freeze.
Having that extra freezer space is so nice, you’ll wonder why you didn’t get one earlier. We hope this guide has helped you or at least gave you some new ideas. If you have any questions or you’d just like to comment, please feel free to contact us here.